Monday, December 18, 2006

Oh how I've missed you

So I never got those pictures up huh? Ray has a very flattering picture of me up on his site with a link to here, so I figured I better update the blog with something. So, if you were looking for some pictures, or you just wanted to see my handsome face, go take a look over on Lunatic Biker.

Last week was pretty busy (and work blocked all blogger access). I had a swim and a bike test with my new coach. He filmed my swim stroke underwater, so that was pretty cool to see. My stroke is pretty good, though I still hyperventilate a little bit if there is too much time between swim workouts. I owe all of that to my older sister. When we were younger and would go to the public pool, she would come over to me and hold me underwater. Seriously there were times when I thought I was going to die. Now my chances at qualifying for the 70.3 World Championships are just a dream. We’ll they always were and will be a dream I just wanted to blame it on something other than simple lack of physical ability.

The Bike test was cool. I got real numbers as far as power goes. We calculated my power to weight ratio (which is currently ~3.7), and set some goals as to where we would like to have it once the season starts (something around 4.2). So that means I need to do two things, loose weight and strengthen my legs. I also found out that my cheap alternative to a power tap system is working well. My coach said he used the Kinetic road machine and the power computer for all of his training last year. He ended up making it worlds in the short course and had the 5th best bike split. The point is as long as you have some consistent power and heart rate data (accurate or not) you can gauge your progress and make improvements. I don’t know who said it and how it actually goes but its something like this “That which does not get measured does not get improved”.

That leads me to another thing, if you try to lose weight without tracking your consumption, you might as well forget it. I can be hungry all day, but then when I look at my total caloric intake it’s an amount that equals zero weight loss. To all of the people on the biggest loser, not to mention many others doing it all on their own, Cheers. BTW - the winner this year lost over 200 lbs. Can you effing believe that?

8 Comments:

At 6:33 PM , Blogger T3 said...

200 pounds. That's a lot of ham!

 
At 10:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neat post. I've been thinking about power a bit lately and would be a bit curious about such measurements. Do you have a reference?

 
At 9:45 AM , Blogger evolving yeti said...

suthsc
the power to weight ratio is (your weight in kg's/avg. watts).

check out kinetics website, cyclops powertap system, srm cranks...

here is a review of the kinetic computer vs. some other systems


http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=4556&status=True


and more here
http://www.biketechreview.com/archive/pm_review.htm

 
At 10:21 AM , Blogger evolving yeti said...

Wrong
"the power to weight ratio is (your weight in kg's/avg. watts"

sorry (avg. watts/weight)

 
At 1:07 PM , Blogger AdamB said...

Also, do you have recommendations for tracking caloric intake? Seems like a pain, especially if you eat out with any frequency.

 
At 3:25 PM , Blogger AdamB said...

It looks like they lost my first post. Which was asking whether power/weight ratio is as important for time-trialing as just overall power.

Just because it seems like the big guys are usually the killer time-trialists. Whereas the skinny dudes are road racers or (like Bos) track stars.

 
At 9:22 AM , Blogger evolving yeti said...

Adam

The 1996 Tour de France winner Bjarne Riis illustrated how much body weight can make a difference while going uphill. Riis beat the great Miguel Indurain in 1996. At the time of his win he weighed 150lbs (68kgs) and had a MS power of 480 watts while going all-out on a climb or time trial. This gave him an incredible power to weight ratio of 7 watts per kilogram (480 / 68 = 7). 7 watts /kg is widely regarded as the magic number in order to be one of the world’s best. Indurain had a MS power of 550 watts when going all-out, a much higher number than Riis. However, he weighed in at 176lbs (80kgs), 26lbs heavier than Riis! This gave him a power to weight ration of 6.8 watts/kg (550 / 80 = 6.8), 0.2 less than Riis. Indurain’s much higher MS power gave him the advantage in the time trials, where the main obstacle is wind drag. However, on the longest, steepest climbs of the Tour this was not the case as Riis’s 0.2 watts/kg advantage, made all the difference.

So in a time trial, yeah overall max wattage output is the key in time trials. But you have to remember for me, weight does play a big role in my overall performance as a triathlete. I could gain a lot of muscle mass to be a great TT'er, but then I would be a lousy swimmer and an especially terrible runner. So for a triathlete the power to weight ratio is as important as it is for a true climber/overall road racer.

BTW - I stole that info. from here
https://www.peakscoachinggroup.com/freeinfo/going_uphill_fast.html

 
At 8:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i used to hold you under the water? I don't remember that! I think you are just bull shitting everyone into thinking I am a terrible person!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home