Monday, December 04, 2006

Lofty career goals determined to be unattainable

It’s been so long since I’ve posted anything, and so little has happened to me since. Really not much of anything is happening in my little world. We spent a week at the beach for a good friends wedding, G and I got engaged, we went to Columbus to see the Buckeyes beat Michigan, and it got effin cold around here.

My “off-season” is coming to the end and I am starting back into structured workouts this month. I switched coaches and will now be working with someone here http://www.scsmultisport.com/. My main focus this year is going to be the IronMan 70.3 in Cancun on September 9th (in addition to local races leading up to it). G was getting a little sick of me spending 10 months of the year focused on racing, and 2 months focused on the rest of my life. So we made a plan to pick a race somewhere that she would like to vacation. We’ll end up going from Wednesday to Wednesday. Nothing like taking a week vacation a month before your wedding, huh? After the tri season I think I’m gonna try my luck up at the track. I was thinking about cyclocross, but since I have a track bike and would need to buy xc bike, the velodrome looks like the better option.

Oh yeah, one fun story. When we were in Columbus for the game I finally got to try my skills at pizza delivery. For those of you that don’t know, this has always been a dream job for me. Anyway we were over at Brown’s house after the game playing cornhole and having a bonfire. A buddy of mine told me he ordered some pizzas that we needed to go pick up. So the two of us hop on mopeds and take off for the place. We’ll once we get there I find out that he ordered 9 pizzas. I had no idea how we were going to get them home. He took the one hand on the bars and one hand holding the pizzas on the back rack approach. I took the pizzas on the handlebars approach. Well it turns out I had the bunk moped and it kept stalling out on me. Anyway, I was at an intersection and the thing stalled, and when I went to stop, I ended up dropping all of my pizzas. Some guys on the sidewalk saw it and came running over to help. I felt like I was setting them up on some hidden camera show, because as soon as I took off I dropped the pizzas again. The look on the guys face was priceless. The felt really bad for me until they realized I wasn’t actually delivering then to anyone. Now the problem was since I dropped the pizzas, the box on top wouldn’t close all the way, so once I hit a certain speed on the moped (my max velocity if you will), the lid would fly opened and I couldn’t see where I was going. In order to get the lid back down I would have to slow down to a more “acceptable” speed. When I got back to Browns, I ended up biting it in the front lawn, thus having dropped the pizzas no less than 3 times. I'll post some pictures later. So I guess I was aiming to high for my dream job. I don’t have what it takes for the profession. I guess I’ll have to settle for being an economist.

6 Comments:

At 3:09 PM , Blogger Lunatic Biker said...

Welcome back to blogging. Having nothing going on is no excuse for not posting. I know because I post bullshit on a daily basis.

 
At 3:28 PM , Blogger evolving yeti said...

ha, thanks for the words of encouragement. i'm looking for a good lawn maintenance for your stocking.

 
At 3:29 PM , Blogger evolving yeti said...

good lawn maintenance BOOK for your stocking. its been so long i forgot how to type

 
At 2:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing is for certain, you are never without a plan...Ironman Cancun sounds pretty f’in sweet. Your hardcore, I feel tried just saying the word “Ironman”. The kind of tired you can only feel when you take a mountain bike named “Tall Boy” into the Utah desert to face almost certain death from dehydration…D.O.N., done! Thanks for the shout out…back at cha from down south.

 
At 10:21 AM , Blogger evolving yeti said...

"The kind of tired you can only feel when you take a mountain bike named “Tall Boy” into the Utah desert to face almost certain death from dehydration…D.O.N., done!"

Nothing a few pitchers of beer in the desert sun can't handle

 
At 11:00 AM , Blogger AdamB said...

Wow! Congratulations!

That pizza story is hilarious. I have a similar dream job in that I've always wanted to be a bike messenger. Now it's never going to happen.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home