Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Hump Day

So the last two days I’ve been traveling for work. Both days were quick trips within the state, but long enough where I was out of the office the entire day. It definitely made the week go by quickly. Today I was in Cloquet at the Fond du Lac Tribal & Community College. Some student interns are working on a project that I’m heading up right now. It’s always fun to be around campuses, even if this one is super tiny. I saw one of the kids biology books and it was the same one I used for my bio classes back in the day. Of course it was an updated edition. I asked where the book store was cause I was thinking about getting a new copy for myself. They were like “Why would you want to buy a textbook?” I told them that I thought it was a great textbook, and the biology book that I have at home was a little light on the science. Yes I do pick it up and read a chapter every once in a while. I do it with almost all of my old textbooks. I think it’s good to keep up on that stuff. I mean you not only have to read the cutting edge stuff you get from the journals, but the fundamentals need some spring cleaning every now and then. Anyway, I had been thinking about getting a used copy of the Reece and Campbell book for a while, so I walked down to the bookstore to see how much it was. Wow, it brought back all the terrible memories of how much books were back in the day. A new copy of the book was $155. I decided to pass. I just now looked online and saw some used copies floating around for under $70. Still not sure I wanna jump on it. I always think about the day that we have kids and if they ask me how something works I want to be able to provide them with a great answer, or sit with them and look it up together. I asked tons of questions when I was younger. If our kids are anything like G and I we are in for a lot of Why, Mommie, Why Daddy? Besides that, I like reading textbooks.

1 Comments:

At 11:57 AM , Blogger AdamB said...

yeah, textbooks are handy. i save almost all of mine, and i wish i had some back that i'd gotten rid of.

i don't know what kind of hellspawn i'd have to hatch who will want to know about linear algebra though. "Daddy, what's an eigenvector? I don't know son, here read this."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home