Friday, March 30, 2007

Race Report #1

So we made it back safely from NC. It was an action packed few days, though we did manage to relax a bit. Here is the abbreviated summary of the trip. More stories and some pictures will surface in the future I'm sure.

Friday
We got into RDU around 4 and picked up the sweet ass Town and Country Minivan. G and I immediately headed for the bar and waited for the rest of the crew to join us. We sat outside in the awesome weather and had 2 beers. Before heading to Charlotte we stopped by some friends place and then continued on to pick up the rest of the road crew. We finally left Chapel Hill around 8. Oh yeah, on the way out of town we picked up some Sparks for the road. It took like 2.5 hours to get to the hotel, just in time to catch the start of the Tarheel game. We ended up crashing at 12:30, and then got up at 4:30.

Saturday
We stopped for pancakes at IHOP for breakfast, checked in, and got the bike and legs warmed up. The run ended up being a mix between road and trail. Man it was freakin hilly and had lots of exposed rocks and tree roots. I made it through the first 5k without a twisted ankle. I pushed it too hard though and felt like crap getting on the bike. The bike course was a 5 mile loop that we did three times. I forgot about the hills in NC. My lungs were good, but my legs were not so happy with the hills. As I approached the bike dismount line I felt my right calf start to cramp. Man it was hot, hilly and humid. I got my legs under me and pushed through the second 5K. I felt much worse than the first 5k, but ended up with almost the exact same time as the first.

I ended up 3rd in my age group and 30th overall. I was happy about getting an early race in, but was not all that pleased with my times. I averaged under 8 min. miles for the runs and just over 21 mph for the bike. I just didn’t have very good legs. But hey, I did manage to come away from the race with some hardware (I never actually got the hardware though because we left before they had the awards ceremony. Our checkout time was fast approaching and we wanted to shower).

We made it back to Chapel Hill in time to watch the Buckeyes fight there way into the Final Four. After the game we went out for dinner and then to a friends birthday party. I drank more than I had in the past two months and was curious how I would feel on Sunday.

Sunday
Felt better than expected. We had breakfast and then headed out on our bikes. We got a later start than I had wanted and it was already getting warm outside. After 60 miles we my legs said, after yesterday, that’ll do. After the ride I crashed on the couch for about 45 minutes before heading out to watch the Tarheels choke. The day was what I imagine a professional athlete's feels like (sans the slight hangover and plans to drink more later that night). They wake up and eat and then get ready for their workouts. After they are done they sleep till they are ready to either eat or workout again. That would be a sweet life, damn genetics. After the game we hit Chapel Hill and closed down the bars. Funny not many kids out after the disappointing loss.

Monday
Felt like shit. Only got like 25 miles in. It was pretty much a wasted day in terms of riding. We did get to sleep a lot and hang out at Weaver Street. What is this thing called air conditioning they have here?

Tuesday
On the bike early and got another 60 miles in. The weather was overcast so that helped with my sunburn. That night we had dinner with friends and a late night movie.

Wednesday
Back to MSP and reality. Vacations are great until you get back to work.

Overall it was a great trip. I really miss those country roads in NC. I think I should spend an entire week there next spring. The biggest problem is having people to ride with on a regular basis. So either Jeff needs to get a bike, or I need to bring a biking friend with me. The race gave me an early indication of where I was fitness wise, and prepared me for the Gear West Duathlon. From what I hear it is a trail run with lots of hills. I came home with some age group hardware and sweet tan lines. Now I’m off to the gym for a session of squats and lunges to get my legs in shape.

2 Comments:

At 10:12 AM , Blogger AdamB said...

On the podium before April! Nice job!

Seems like the more difficult route should more than compensate for the slower times, yeah?

 
At 9:30 AM , Blogger Jeff said...

NC FYI - bike by next spring is totally doable.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home