Monday, March 12, 2007

Boring Workout Crap

Workout Totals to Date (Since 12/4/06)*

Swim: 26.3 Miles (2.9/week)
Bike: 410 Miles (45/week)
Run: 153 Miles (17/week)
*Includes 8 days off for sickness

Next week we are heading to NC for some good road riding. I can’t wait to get back out on those roads. Besides friends, I’d say that’s the number one thing that I miss. You would only have to ride for like 5 minutes and you were out on back roads in the country. People were used to having bikes on the road, so there was little to worry about in terms of asshole motorists (not to say there were none). The best though was having the option year round. I hope I can remember all of the roads/turns. I’m sure it will all come back to me. I need to boost the bike mileage. Relying on the trainer for building base miles is less than optimal. It takes A LOT of effort to stay on it for 1.5 hours. I think my absolute breaking point is 2. To this point all of my bike workouts have been 1-1.5 hours, so 15 – 25 miles depending on the workout. It makes it tough to rack up the mileage.

To date the biggest improvement over last year at this time is my swimming. I changed up a few things with my cadence, and now I’m able to go longer distances. Once I’m comfortable doing like 2000 all free and no stopping I’ll really start to focus on increasing my speed. I think this is where my biggest gains in overall time will come from though.

While in NC I’m gonna race a duathlon. I plan on taking the first 5k easy, then really hammering on the bike and the last 5k. It should be a good indicator of my early season fitness. The folks down there have already started the racing season, so I don’t plan on bringing home any hardware. My next race will be two month later, the Gear West duathlon. Based on where I am in NC, my coach and I will be able to really focus my workouts. I’ve heard that that race is pretty tough. It’s at the Orono HS, and based on the cross race I went to there this past fall, it looks to be pretty hilly.

1 Comments:

At 9:30 PM , Blogger AdamB said...

damn! an hour on the trainer and I go nuts. that is a lot of miles. hope you guys can get outside soon up there, and have some epic rides in NC!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home