Monday, July 10, 2006

The 2006 race season…


Here’s a picture of me exiting the water of a past race, proof that I actually do race and don’t make all of this crap up.

Well this year’s race season may or may not be over. Over the Fourth of July weekend in Chicago I made the age old mistake of mixing large amounts of alcohol with fireworks. A family friend of G brought some of the high class fireworks that go in the tubes for launching. Well he asked for some help and I gladly volunteered. He told me that as soon as I light the wick run, so I did. Well given the state that I was in and the fact that it was dark I stepped short on the curb, yes we were lighting them in the middle of the street, and bent my big toe WAY back. Oh yeah I was wearing sandals.
So I was in pain all last week and couldn’t train, except for commuting on the bike to work. I had a race yesterday and figured I’d give it a go and if the pain was too much I would just stop. The swim was decent, though the length ended up being longer than advertised, the bike felt great, but the run was pretty painful. I could tell the fitness wasn’t there not to mention the pain in the toe. I though about pulling out but didn’t want to record a DNF, so I pushed on. Today my toe hates me. I’m heading to the doctor later this afternoon. Whatever the results are I doubt I’ll be able to get ready for the ½ IM in early September.

4 Comments:

At 4:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Pavarotti!!

 
At 8:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al-I am so bummed to hear about your accident. Hope all goes well at the Doc and your race season isn't at an end. If it is, you will just need to set your goals high for next season. I know you will.

Lots of love,
Amber

 
At 11:02 AM , Blogger AdamB said...

Nice photo. That's a good decision, to hit up the doctor. Don't want that kind of thing hanging around for a few months--I've got about four body parts in constant ache due to not going to the doctor when I should.

Maybe you could just do some TTs and swim events to keep your form for a big late-season result! I hear good things about the Black Dog TT, for example (and one is going down tomorrow the 12th).

http://www.silvercycling.org/bdtt.html

 
At 11:04 AM , Blogger AdamB said...

Nice picture. Way to stick it out.

That's a good decision, though, to see the doctor. I got about four things on me now with a dull ache because I didn't it up the doctor when I should have.

Maybe you could do some TTs and swim events to keep up the form for one huge late season result! I hear good things about the Black Dog TT, for example (and one of them is going down tomorrow the 12th).

http://www.silvercycling.org/bdtt.html

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home