Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Another Bike?

So with the first year of Cyclocross over for me, I have some reflections and foresight. We'll start with reflections.
1. That shit is hard.
2. CX is really, really fun.
3. If you want to feel like you are part of a cycling community, start Cross racing.
4. That shit is really hard.

To get ready for the season I started riding my SS Mtn. bike at the river bottoms. It had been years since I rode in the dirt, and before committing to a CX bike I wanted to see if I still liked the idea of it. I was hooked again after the first ride. So I bought a used Alan CX bike and decided to try CX. I only raced 3 times this year, but it was a really busy fall. You know the whole wedding planning thing. Anyway, I am super glad I decide to get the bike and try it. I am really looking forward to next season as I have a better idea of what to expect. Which leads me to the foresight.

1. Next season CX races will be really hard.
2. This season amplified my interest in racing X-terra next year.
3. The intensity of the CX racing has helped me be able to dig deeper into the hurt locker than ever before, so that should help this coming triathlon season.
4. No matter what type of racing you do, if you are really racing, its gonna be hard.

So now that I've decided to give X-terra a go next season, I need a bike. The biggest decision I need to make is whether I want a 26'' wheeled bike or the 29''. For those that aren't part of the bike crowd the 26'' wheels are your typical Mtn. bike wheels, the 29'' wheels are the same size as a road or CX bike. Anyway, after talking to one Mtn. biker they recommended the 26'' wheels based on my height and build (5'7'' and ~160 lbs). Do you have an opinion? If so, leave a comment. I'm gonna test ride some bikes next week, including a 29'er. Right now I'm looking at the Salsa "Moto Rapido".

2 Comments:

At 2:25 PM , Blogger T3 said...

i don't have an opinion but i'll comment. the moto looks hot

 
At 2:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've recently gotten hooked on a single speed, fully rigid 29er. The whole "you're to short for a 29er" arguement is BS. Although tall people will probably benefit more from the bigger wheels, I'm having a ton of fun rolling over shit with those wheels. It just seems like a more stable ride then 26er for some reason...

Little D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home