Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Is it already too late?

Am I really turning into a middle aged suburbanite? This morning I had to go downtown to pick up a new security badge for work. More on that in another post, I’m sure you’ll love it. Anyway, while I was down there it got me thinking about the current state of affairs that is my life. When we first moved to Mpls. we wanted to be in a Metro. Area, so we rented in Uptown. We felt very at home there, though after a year the newnesss/hipness wore off. We were in a really busy area an dhavingto worry about late night damage to cars, drunk and disorderliness on a Tuesday night, general dirtiness etc. we decided to buy a house. One of our criteria was that it had to be in the City limits. There was no way we were moving to suburbia. Well we quickly got priced out to the edges of Mpls. and are now a stones throw from Edina and Richfield. Life down there has been great, a fenced yard, two car garage, great neighbors, safe hood, etc. However, being downtown made me realize that I am slowly but surely losing my edge. I almost feel like I am becoming a middle of the road republican. F me man! It’s easy to forget how much more alive you feel in an area where things are actually happening. All walks of life mixing together, and being part of something that actually feels alive. So I’m not gonna sell the house and move back to Uptown, but I do need to start making an effort to act my age. I need to get out of the house, head downtown to a show, grab dinner, have a few drinks, and enjoy one of the main reasons why we moved here away from rural Chapel Hill. I need to break the chains of the routine that we have fallen in to. No more falling asleep before Saturday Night Live even starts, Central Time! Get out there and enjoy life, not the inside of our comfortable “suburban” rambler. Act like newly married 30 something’s with no kids. Family life will come soon enough, so until that time arrives I need to keep from living it prematurely. So, is it already too late?

Oh yeah, it could also be that we just endured a 5 month Winter and Spring fever has finally caught me. Maybe it’s a small combination of both. No more winter hibernation and premature family lifestyles. We’ll see you out there.

8 Comments:

At 3:32 PM , Blogger Jeff said...

Oh please...I know for a fact that it is not the long winters that are turning you into a lethargic shut-in who is too scared to walk the streets of Uptown at night.

DUDE, you have issues. You post "I am slowly but surely losing my "edge". Yeah, no sh**! As evidenced by your post on Sunday, April 13, 2008, a stunning photo essay in tribute to your HomeDepot wet-dream of new kitchen. Three days later you're wondering Uptown worrying that you are not acting your age. WTF? Check your Yeti, I think he's pouting. The real question is why it took you three days to feel this way.

I can say with absolute certainty that you are D.O.N....done! Your "edge" got filed down with granite counter tops (the color really does tie the room together) last week. Welcome to middle age where "Level 5" is no longer a state of mind...rather it has become a rating to describe the quality of your afternoon nap! What a waste...but I digress.

Here's to you "Mr. Handlebar Mustache Wearer", you go get your edge back! Tally-Ho!

(see http://www.contemporaryinsanity.org/audio/rmog
/Bud%20Light%20-%20Real%20Men%20of%20Genius%20
-%20Mr.%20Handlebar%20Mustache%20Wearer.mp3 )

 
At 3:40 PM , Blogger evolving yeti said...

Wow, we are not even friends anymore.

 
At 3:43 PM , Blogger evolving yeti said...

oh yeah and learn to use the comment features if you are going to post a hyperlink...DUDE

 
At 5:52 PM , Blogger Lunatic Biker said...

Still not as bad as the Heights.

 
At 6:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way Harsh!

Amber

 
At 9:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

monkey breathe puke face eat off turtle slime

 
At 11:59 AM , Blogger Meow said...

I guess he needed to vent. But, anyway-yah-get your butt out there!I agree--the "energy" is way different in the city. I get out there every chance I get! Good luck with Louie! The thought of emergency vets and intestines makes me cringe....been there done that. It's gonna' be expensive.

 
At 8:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad Louis is not dead

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home