Thursday, May 18, 2006

Ice Ice Baby

Lake swims in early May in Minnesota are overrated.

I road my new fixed gear to Nokomis to meet up with the other MN Tri Clubbers. It was great to finally get on it and ride farther than my neighborhood streets. I definitely need to change the gearing 48x15 is way too big for me. Anyway I got to the beach and we all slipped/forced our way into our wetsuits and headed into the water. Temperature reading was 58 degrees. Thank god for neoprene! After the first 300 I was feeling pretty comfortable in the water. It was pretty windy, so swimming into the near white caps was less than fun. I swam around 1000 meters and got out. The whole point in getting in the water was to ready myself for the race this weekend in Albert Lea. I didn’t want my first open water swim of the year to be in a race. Early season lake swims are sketchy enough for me, no need to add in the chaos and often time’s brutal mass swim starts all at once. After the swim I ran 6 miles and then rode back home for some well deserved dinner. It is so great that it’s starting to stay light out till late in the evening.

T3, you were right about the cool factor. Well I guess the majority of the folks were great. There was one older alpha male type there that I can tell if I workout with the group on a regular basis the two of us will clash. Type A personalities are rampant in the Tri culture and I can usually shrug everyone’s ego off, but this dude was over the top. Maybe he was having a really bad day. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt

4 Comments:

At 9:31 AM , Blogger T3 said...

Man -- even in a wetsuit that is effin cold! A windsurfer dude I knew had a rule about not going in the water until:

water temp + air temp = 130

or something like that? I forget the magic number. I'll wait...

I bet there was some serious shrinkage going on after you got out of the water?

48x15 is huge for the streets. I had 48x16 for a while. That was too big for some of the hills on my commute.

 
At 10:11 AM , Blogger evolving yeti said...

Yeah, you don't really want to communicate up close with the ladies after getting out. Thats one advantage of training with this group over Cat6, ladies....ladies in very little clothing!

I'm going to put an 18 on the fixie. Do you have the tools to take the lock ring off?

 
At 2:13 PM , Blogger AdamB said...

1 km and 6 miles? That is badass.

 
At 3:32 PM , Blogger T3 said...

lockring tool... check!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home