Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Smokey you are about to enter a world of pain…

So I rode in my first criterium last night. For those of you reading that may not know what this is, it’s a bike race where the course is a loop and there are a set number of laps, in this case twelve. I had never ridden any type of mass start bike race, so needless to say I was a little nervous, more anxious than nervous I guess. I drove home from work, packed up the bike and headed for OPUS. The Cat5 (Cat 5 = beginning racers, Cat 1= bad asses) race started at 5:45 and I was leaving at around 5:00, I figured I had plenty of time. Well, traffic was bad and it was farther than I expected so I couldn’t stop to get cash if I wanted to make the race. I knew that registration was at an Einstein Brothers Bagels, so I assumed they would have a cash machine. Wrong, no cash machine anywhere. So I was late, had no money, and the registration was about to close. Luckily I found another team member and bummed the money from him. Thanks again Jason. The first time I meet you I ask for money, great first impression! Anyway I get to the registration table and I find out that the Cat5 race has closed and they are going to put me in the Cat4 race. Sweet titties! I’m really glad I decided to race tonight.

I caught up with Tuffy and told him I would be joining his race and he was as shocked as I was. The advice he gave me was to make sure I hold my line in the peloton no matter what. He said that everyone would be racing really close and if I made any sudden moves I would likely take other riders out or get bitch slapped after the race. I was feeling better about my decision after every minute that passed. Oh by the way I showed up with a bike that was having minor mechanical issues. I had recently changed a pulley in my rear derailleur and now it was having some trouble shifting. I thought I was going to get there in time have someone take a look at it.

This year I had been reading the race reports of other teammates in their first season of racing. The first few races their goal was to finish with the main pack. I adopted their goals as mine and rolled up to the line. We took off and I had some trouble clipping into my pedals, I finally got it sorted out after the second lap. The pace was quick, but I was hanging with the group. The pace would go up as high as 39 mph, and slow to around 18-19. We were racing close but I felt really comfortable. Every three laps there are sprints in which the top three riders get points. This is where my wheel fell off. The paced picked up and I lost contact with the group at the end of the third lap, which consists of an uphill sprint. I caught back up with them before the climb on the 4th lap, but then lost them for good. Another lesson learned: A bike that has a shifting mind of its own, especially once you start cranking uphill, is not a good race bike. I did however meet my goal of finishing with the main group, though I had another lap to go. Yes I got lapped in my first crit. Super, super sweet.

I wanted to stick around for the rest of the races but Jason had to drive back to Mankato and I needed to get to the ATM to get cash for him. Sorry about that Cat6. I drove home with my tail between my legs, ate dinner and walked the dog, then headed to the YMCA for some more punishment, this time in the pool. I am tired today. After work I’m heading to Lake Nokomis for my first open water swim of the year. I imagine the water will be cold and dirty. I’m meeting people from the mntriclub so hopefully they’ll be half as cool as the people that I’ve met through Cat6.

3 Comments:

At 2:05 PM , Blogger T3 said...

so hopefully they’ll be half as cool as the people that I’ve met through Cat6

doubt it... kidding.

in week one just about all the newbies had bad nights. a couple people got lapped or almost got lapped. plus you were not in the right race.

i think you should try again. i know it's tough when your trying to do your tri-training, but if you can fit it in on a night/weekend in place of a tempo ride, i bet you'd enjoy it with more exposure. i'm still diggin' it even though i fell off the back last night.

a lot of it was probably nerves, and your derailleur...

 
At 2:38 PM , Blogger evolving yeti said...

yeah I plan on coming back for more. I'll be out of town next week though. I think there is one last race, for OPUS at least, on the 30th.

 
At 3:24 PM , Blogger AdamB said...

Wow, I can't believe I missed your racing debut. And as a Cat 4! Hot Jesus!

Sounds like you didn't have too much trouble being so tight at speed, so that's a good sign. Look at it this way--getting dropped in the 4s is way better than getting dropped in the 5s, as almost everyone has done by now.

Next time will be way more fun.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home